What’s the difference between retirement age and re-employment age?

Yes, there is actually a difference.


In Singapore, we have a retirement age, and a re-employment age. Factually explains.

Retirement Age

Our minimum retirement age is 62 years old. This means that employers are not allowed to dismiss any employee below 62 because of the employee’s age.

Re-employment Age

From 1 July 2017, employers must offer re-employment to eligible employees who turn 62, up to the age of 67. This provides older workers with more opportunities to work longer, if they wish to do so, while at the same time having the choice to retire when they have reached 62.

You are eligible for re-employment up to age 67 if you:

• are a Singapore citizen or Singapore permanent resident

• have served your current employer for at least 3 years before turning 62

• have satisfactory work performance, as assessed by your employer

• are medically fit to continue working

• were born on or after 1 July 1952.

Things to note if you’re considering re-employment:

• While negotiating a re-employment contract with your employer, make your job preferences known early in the consultation process.

• Keep an open mind about possible changes to your current job arrangement or employment terms.

• If you are eligible for re-employment but the employer is unable to offer you a position, then the employer must offer you Employment Assistance Payment (EAP) after a thorough review and as a last resort.

You should work together with your employer or union to resolve any differences. You can also approach the Commissioner for Labour or the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management if you:

• are not offered re-employment

• encounter unreasonable terms and conditions, or EAP amount.

For more info, check out:

MOM: Responsible employment
MOM: Changes to re-employment from 1 July 2017

This article is accurate as of Aug 2017.

More From Factually

Unless otherwise indicated, the articles here are generally accurate as of their publication dates. Please visit the relevant Goverment agency website for the latest updates.