Who can organise events at Hong Lim Park?

All you need to do is register on the NParks website and accept the relevant terms and conditions.


As a public park, Hong Lim Park is a public space that is open for everyone to enjoy. The Speakers’ Corner was established in September 2000 at Hong Lim Park to provide a place for Singaporeans to express themselves in various ways, such as delivering public speeches, holding peaceful demonstrations, exhibitions or performances.


Those who wish to speak or stage an event at the Speakers’ Corner will need to apply to the National Parks Board (NParks) through the NParks website. Singaporeans who wish to speak can do so as long as they comply with the terms and conditions and exemption conditions for the use of the Speakers’ Corner (more details below).

A Police permit will be required if foreigners are involved in the organisation of, or participate in, an event at the Speakers’ Corner.


You will need to apply for a Police permit if you cannot comply with the exemption conditions listed in the Public Order (Unrestricted Area) Order 2016, which include:

  • Do not speak or deal with matters concerning religion, or matters that may cause enmity or ill-will between different racial or religious groups
  • Speak in one of Singapore’s official languages
  • Do not, at any time, display or exhibit items containing violent, lewd, or obscene material.
  • For assemblies or processions, organisers or their authorised agent must be present at all times, and only Singapore citizens or Permanent Residents may participate.

As mentioned above, a police permit will also be required if foreigners are involved in the organisation of, or participate in, an event at the Speakers’ Corner.

A separate Public Entertainment licence will also be required if the event or activity is regulated by the Public Entertainments and Meetings Act. For more details, refer to the Public Entertainments and Meetings (Speakers’ Corner) (Exemption) Order 2016.

Applicants may consult the Singapore Police Force (SPF) if they are unsure about whether their event requires a police permit.


This article is accurate as of Sep 2017.

More From Factually

Unless otherwise indicated, the articles here are generally accurate as of their publication dates. Please visit the relevant Goverment agency website for the latest updates.