[Updated as of 31 March]


  1. Remain in your place of residence at all times during the 14-day period

    Do not leave your residence, even if it is to purchase food and essentials. If necessary, you may opt for home delivery services or enlist the assistance of others for your daily necessities.

    If applicable, inform your employer or school that you have been issued a SHN as soon as possible.

    The Singapore Government agencies (MOE, ECDA, MOM and ICA) may contact you through multiple platforms including phone calls, WhatsApp or SMS. When contacted, you must respond within one hour.  

  2. Minimise contact with others, and avoid having visitors to your residence
    Avoid interaction with others you live with, and avoid having visitors to your residence. Avoid coming into contact with other persons (outside your household) within 2 metres other than for the purposes of receiving delivery of food or other essential supplies. You should maintain a record of persons you come into close contact with during this period.

    If sharing a house with others, stay in your own room as much as possible and use a dedicated toilet if possible. 

    Do not use common facilities in your estate/building, including the pool, gym, or playground. 

    Avoid interactions with vulnerable persons, for example, seniors aged 60 and above or persons with underlying health conditions, even if you are not experiencing any symptoms. Consider alternative accomodations if these interactions cannot be avoided.


  3. Monitor your health closely

    i.e. Twice daily for fever (≥ 38°C) and respiratory symptoms such as cough and breathlessness. If you are unwell, wear a mask and seek medical attention immediately. Avoid contact with others.


  4. Maintain good personal hygiene

    Wash your hands regularly with soap and water. Flush the toilet after use, and wash your hands before and after handling food or eating, and after going to the toilet.

  5. Do not touch your face.


  6. Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing.


  7. Maintain good indoor ventilation.


  8. Carry out frequent cleaning of your place of residence.

  9. Do not share food, crockery, utensils and other personal hygiene items.

  10. If you need to leave your room, eg. to go to the toilet, avoid touching any surfaces such as door knobs and handles, or wipe them down with disinfection should you do so.



1. Do I need to be on SHN?

As Singapore’s border restriction measures will evolve according to the global situation, you are advised to check the Ministry of Health website (https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19) for the latest measures.

2. Am I under quarantine orders?

No, you are not under quarantine orders and are not required to have a dedicated room and toilet if this is not feasible. However, you should remain in your place of residence at all times during the 14-day period.

3. What is the difference between leave of absence and the new Stay-Home Notice?

Persons taking leave of absence are allowed to leave their place of residence to purchase daily necessities or to attend to important personal matters. Persons issued a SHN should remain in their place of residence at all times during the 14-day period.

4. What if I do not comply to the SHN?

If you fail to comply with the SHN, you may face the following penalties, as you have put the well-being of the wider community at risk:

a. You may be prosecuted under Section 21A of the Infectious Diseases Act;

Any person guilty of an offence under Section 21A of the Infectious Diseases Act shall (a) in the case of a first offence, be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both; and (b) in the case of a second or subsequent offence, be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $20,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both.

b. If you are a Singapore Permanent Resident, Long-Term Visit Pass holder, Dependant’s Pass holder, or Student’s Pass holder, your Re-Entry Permit or passes may be revoked or the validity shortened;

c. If you are a foreign employee issued with a work pass, your work pass may be revoked. This is because the SHN is imposed on you pursuant to Section 7(4)(a) of the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act:

The Controller of Work Passes may at any time vary or revoke any of the existing conditions of a work pass or impose new conditions. As an additional condition of your work pass, you must comply with the SHN.

d. If your child/ward is a full-time student attending a preschool, school or other educational institution in Singapore, your child/ward might be subjected to disciplinary action, including suspension or dismissal. For foreign students, this may include the cancellation of your child’s/ward’s Student’s Pass or Dependant’s Pass.

5. Can my family members continue to stay with me during this time? Are they at risk of infection?

Your family members may continue to live with you. However, you and your family should observe good personal hygiene practices (refer to guidelines). If you become unwell, avoid contact with your family members and seek medical attention immediately (see next question).

6. What if I require medical attention while on SHN?

For life-threatening cases such as cardiac arrest, active seizures, breathlessness, major traumas and stroke, please call 995 directly for assistance; and

For non-emergencies (such as cough or fever, follow-up visits for chronic conditions, refilling of prescription, etc.): 

a. For Singapore citizens, permanent residents, Long-Term Visit Pass holders and short-term visitors, you may call the SHN helpline at 6812 5555. Please inform the clinic of your travel history and that you have been issued a SHN;

b. For students/ pre-school students, you can seek assistance from your school or MOE/ECDA; and

c. For foreign employees issued with a work pass, you should contact your employer.

7. If I am worried about my status (whether or not I am infected), can I go to a hospital / National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) to get tested?

Diagnostic testing is available for symptomatic individuals who are admitted to hospital on suspicion of infection. If you develop fever, cough or breathlessness, or are feeling unwell, you should seek medical attention (see previous question). Your doctor will assess and refer you to the hospital if necessary.

8. My family members/ flatmates/ tenants have just returned from one of the affected areas. Can I still carry on with my daily activities (e.g. work, school)?

Yes, the SHN applies only to persons returning from affected areas listed in the advisory. Nonetheless, you should continue to monitor your health, observe good personal hygiene and seek medical attention if unwell.

9. Do I need to declare to my employers/schools that I am on SHN?

Persons who have returned from the affected areas are advised to inform their employers or schools that they are on SHN. This is so that your employer or school can provide the necessary assistance to facilitate your SHN.

10. Can I send my employees/ students to the doctor to get tested at the end of the 14-day period so that they can be cleared to come back to work/return to school?

It is not useful to send persons who do not have symptoms to the doctor/ hospital for testing. Such individuals will not be offered diagnostic testing, and will be asked to return home.

11. If I am delivering food/ supplies to a person under SHN, should I wear a mask or other protective equipment to protect myself?

There is no need for masks or other protective equipment. The delivery can be conducted in such a way as to minimise contact with the person under SHN. The SHN is a precautionary measure and persons under SHN are not close contacts of confirmed cases.

12. Where do I get the latest information on the disease situation?

Health advisories and latest information on the local disease situation is available on the Singapore Ministry of Health website at www.moh.gov.sg. For queries, please call the MOH general enquiry hotline at 6325 9220. For the latest global disease situation, you may wish to refer to information on the World Health Organization website at www.who.int.